Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lansing Art Gallery Demo


Last week, as the conclusion of my grant for the Arts Council of Greater Lansing, I did a hands-on demo of encaustic. The attendees were mostly artists and I'll be curious to see who pursues the medium. Several people tried it out. This is one of the images I worked on...not complete.

If you look at the green and red marks in the lower left corner, you can see where one goes from fat to skinny. This is a technique of incising the was, then filling the groove with color, then scraping away the excess to leave a filled-groove mark. The rest of the marks have yet to be scraped. I like the line quality this creates.

All in all the piece needs some cleaning up and punching here and there. I'm still undecided about whether to add more flowers...could go either way.

Today I'm finishing up the final report for the grant. I'd like to thank the Arts Council for helping me get going with encaustic, which I think will hold my interest for quite some time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU Barb for sharing with us - I am fascinated by the process - I can certainly see how it will hold your interest, so much to explore!

    ReplyDelete