Monday, October 21, 2013

Icarus...a myth, a metaphor, an exhibit.

In March, at Grove Gallery in East Lansing, I'm scheduled to have an exhibit. The concept for this show has been slowly rising to the surface of my consciousness. As always at this phase, I've been nervous...not sure if I'll be able to make a cohesive statement, finish the work in time, or be proud of  the output.

I'm don't remember when Icarus started to speak to me, but at some point I knew that his story would be the focus of this show.

Icarus—brave, inventive, so immersed in the joy of moment that he lost track of the world around him. Or, so arrogantly overconfident that he overstepped his boundaries. Either way, soaring to unimaginable heights, then catapulting back to earth. There's a lot of fodder to explore and I can't wait to see how it all comes together. I hope the exhibit will be striking and thought provoking. There's much work to be done, but now that I have my direction my dreams are leading the way, offering imagery and ideas. I just have to make those dreams a reality.

Here, from last night's wakefulness, is a sketch for a sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment