Monday, February 15, 2010

Truth

I'm just listening to a program by Laura Roeder, who is a bold young woman and social media guru. She's talking about a pivot point where she was pondering what she wanted to do and trusting her gut to guide her to the right sort of client. This is something we all think about, though not always consciously.

I have learned that I'm a passive sort of networker. I work hard and try to be good at what I do, but my marketing approach has generally been in the line of: put it out there, and if they want it they'll call. In the course of doing illustration for years, the sorts of clients which feel right have come along. I love editorial work because I have to think and work on tight deadlines. I love children's books because of the huge visual and conceptual arc of such a project. I prefer to work with designers directly, so I can hear the implicit as well as the explicit messages.

I've never had any desire to be the next shooting star. I just want to burn steadily and brightly for a long time, work with people I respect and admire, challenge myself and create the best possible work. Is that asking too much? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment